MA Italian Program Admission
Students applying for admission to the graduate program are evaluated on the basis of previous academic performance, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, a writing sample, and an interview, either on campus or by telephone.
Applicants usually hold a BA (or equivalent degree) in Italian. A test of English is required for international students (see below).
All applicants to the graduate program are considered for departmental funding as teaching assistants or for Arts and Sciences fellowships (when applicable). There is no separate application for such funding.
Visit the Office of Admissions for more information.
Items Required for Admission
The following checklist includes the required information necessary for admission into the Italian Masters Program
- Application must be submitted through Apply Yourself
- Three (3) letters of recommendation accompanied with the recommendation form enclosed or referees can submit recommendation letters online through Apply Yourself.
- An unofficial transcript from all institutions attended to the present time
- Official TOEFL exam results for foreign student applications. The minimum required score for admission is 90 (with at least a score of 22 in all of the four sections of speaking, listening, reading, and writing) or 7 on the Cambridge IELTT (with at least a 6.5 in each of the four sections).
- A personal statement written in English outlining your goals and reasons for pursuing graduate education in Italian
- Two (2) additional writing samples (one in English, one in Italian) such as a paper written for a course in college (it is a plus if the topics discussed are related to Italian literature and culture)
- A telephone interview is required of all those applying for teaching positions.
- A payment of $50.00 the University of Pittsburgh, either through a check or money order (drawn on a U.S. bank) or by credit card through Apply-Yourself.
Completed applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis but must be received in our office no later than Feb 1 to be considered for admission in the next fall term.
Additional Supplementary Information for International Students
- The Information and Supplemental Application form (PDF) must be completed. The Financial Support Statement must be completed if you are not awarded financial support from the University of Pittsburgh or in the event that you will be bringing a dependent. This form must be completed by someone who would be able to support you in the event that you could not support yourself with the scholarship money awarded by the university.
- While GRE scores are not required of international students, the official record of your TOEFL examination (test must have been taken within two years of date of application) must be sent to the University of Pittsburgh French Department.
All supporting documentation should be sent to:
University of Pittsburgh
Assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies, Italian
Department of French & Italian
1328 Cathedral of Learning
Pittsburgh, PA 15260